ALNA – The engine house and station of the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway have been restored by rail buffs into a museum about the narrow-gauge line that ran from Wiscasset to Albion and Winslow beginning in the late 1890s. There’s also about 1,000 feet of the original track bed, including a culvert made from the steam boiler of a locomotive. Inside is an engine built for this line in the early 1900s, and a huge Vulcan Iron locomotive originally used at the Charlestown Navy Yard in Massachusetts. The museum also has the flat car used to tear up these very rails when the line was closed in 1934. Route 218; Saturday and Sunday 9 to 5 May through Columbus Day; 207-882-6897.
Just a quick note: the museum is open during the winter on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. – the trains will start running again after March 30.